As well as being a social society we provide web-hosting to both students and societies. We charge a base rate of £4 a year to students and £10 a year to societies. This is considerably cheaper than any commercial webhosts we know of, with the added advantage that we’re students too, so we’re much easier to contact and to talk to than the usual tech support.
What you get:
- A 3D printed keyring as a token of membership.
- More server space than you’re likely to need, with upgrades available if you do.
- Your very own @termisoc.org email address
- Help with projects you’re working on
- Access to fortnightly tutorials on various computing subjects
Technical details (feel free to ignore this if it goes over your head):
- Access is available via SSH and FTP from within the University or via a VPN connection to the University network. Details on setting up a VPN connection to the University are available for Windows and Mac- members will be able to help you connect with linux. WebDAV access is available on request. For shell access we provide bash by default; zsh and tcsh are also available.
- A basic account comes with 2GB of disk space. You can ask for more if you like, it’s free to do so.
- We provide both MySQL databases at no extra cost. However, we do usually limit you to one of each unless exceptional circumstances (eg: security). We don’t take kindly to absuing our generosity!
- We currently support PHP 5, mod_perl CGI, DJango and Ruby On Rails. We even provide ASP.NET through Mono!
- Access to email is via POP3 or IMAP4 (supported by most modern email clients), or via our web interface at mail.termisoc.org. We also support Authenticated SMTP, allowing you to send email via our server from your email client. Access is also available from your shell account using mutt.
So why the heck haven’t you joined?